New App Helps Athletic Trainers and Doctors Assess Concussions on the Field
LUTZ, Fla.— The Concussion Assessment and Response™: Sport Version (CARE-Sport Version) is a new app from PAR that helps athletic trainers, team physicians, and other health care professionals assess and respond to a potential concussion—one of the most common yet serious medical situations for athletes at all levels. From the instant a player is injured, the app guides users through a series of questions and activities that helps rule out a cervical spine injury, evaluate concussion signs and symptoms, and assess cranial nerve function. Designed for the iPhone®, iPad®, iPod® Touch, Android device or tablet, the app is now available for download from the Apple® App Store or Android Marketplace.
The CARE-Sport Version app features:
- The Balance Error Scoring System (BESS), which evaluates an athlete’s ability to maintain postural stability, providing important information about loss of balance in an injured athlete.
- The Sideline Assessment of Concussion (SAC), which assesses the mental status of the athlete—it addresses orientation, immediate memory, concentration, and memory recall. A Graded Symptom Checklist (GSC), which
- A Graded Symptom Checklist (GSC), which enables users to track the severity of post-concussion symptoms during the athlete’s recovery process.
- A Return-to-Play Guide, which helps protect athletes from further injury by guiding them through a gradual daily physical exercise routine that tests their tolerance for exertional activity.
- A Concussion Information Section, which helps ensure that users have a comprehensive understanding of concussions as well as the function of the CARE-Sport Version.
- The ACE Post-Concussion Home/School Instructions, an instructional page that users can share with non-medical personnel, including coaches, parents, and athletes, to guide early management of the athlete following a concussion.
PAR’s CARE-Sport Version app was developed by concussion experts Jason Mihalik, PhD, CAT(C), ATC, Assistant Professor at the Matthew A. Gfeller Sport-Related Traumatic Brain Injury Research Center at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill; and Gerard A. Gioia, PhD, Director of the Division of Pediatric Neuropsychology at the Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, DC.
The CARE-Sport Version is available in unlimited-use form for only $9.99. To learn more, visit http://care.parinc.com.
Please note: The CARE-Sport Version is for use by qualified medical professionals only. If you are a parent or coach, please visit http://crr.parinc.com to learn more about our Concussion Recognition & Response™: Coach & Parent Version.
PAR will donate a portion of all proceeds from the sale of this app to support concussion research at the Children’s National Medical Center and the Matthew A. Gfeller Sport-Related Traumatic Brain Injury Research Center.
Founded in 1978, PAR is a leading publisher of assessment instruments, software, and other related materials. Over the past three decades, PAR has earned a reputation for providing customers with innovative assessment solutions and unparalleled customer service.